Providing Services to Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse
The Men's Project
Who We Are & What We Do
MSW RSW Executive Director
180 Argyle Ave., Suite 321,
Ottawa ON K2P 1B7
Phone: (613) 230-6179 Fax: (613) 230-6173
From Our Mission Statement:.
We strive to support men, in a process of change, with structure and integrity. We provide mental health services to men and their families...
...We provide innovative counselling and educational services through a male-centred approach that honours and respects the experiences of men.
Key Information about TMP
- Established in 1997
- Incorporated charitable organization
- Voluntary Board of Directors
- Staffing Composition:
- Executive Director,
- Intake Services Coordinator,
- Clinical Supervisor,
- Clinical Associates (6),
- Contract Therapists (6),
- Administrator/Project Manager
- An active Intern Program
Men & Healing Program for Male Survivors:
- Ottawa (7) (Ministry of the Attorney General)
- Concurrent Disorder Program (CMHA sponsored)
Individual, Couple & Family Therapy:
- Ottawa: Fee for Service, Extended Insurance, Purchase of Service CICB, FNIHB, DND, City of Ottawa, and others.
Group Therapy Programs:
- Anger Management
- Emotional Intelligence
- Fathering Program
Services for Male Survivors
funded by Ministry of the Attorney General
Men & Healing Phase I Program:
- psycho-educational curriculum-based support (8 weeks)
Men & Healing Phase II Program:
- Insight-oriented trauma-centred therapy (repeating cycles of 10 weeks to a maximum of 5 cycles).
- Ottawa (6) Nepean (1).
Men & Healing Phase III:
- Self-guided therapeutic engagement with the broader community.
Responding to the Needs...
- the only sexual abuse treatment program for men in Ontario (funded by Ministry of the Attorney General).
- Managed the First Provincial Conference on Male Sexual Victimization (Men of Courage, Toronto, 2008).
- Had official standing in the Cornwall Public Inquiry.
- Operates a Canada-wide training service for issues of concern to men and their families (USA training collaboration set for Fall, 2010).
- Winner of the Attorney General's Victim Services Award of Distinction for Service Innovation (2007).
- Guidebook on Services for male survivors commissioned by the Cornwall Public Inquiry (2009).
Reflections on the Cornwall Public Inquiry
CPI - Final Report
Quotes re: Victim Services
- "When faced with allegations of historical abuse, institutions were ill equipped. They did not understand the serious impact of abuse, or about responses typical of boys and young men."
- "Lack of training, particularly in the area of historical abuse and abuse of boys and young men, hampered even well-intentioned individuals."
- "There must be an end to the perception that survivors of abuse are "irritants". In particular, the needs of male victims must be addressed."
- "It is my view that a strategic plan must be put in place for services for men in Ontario who have suffered abuse. I have made clear the considerations that must go into such a plan - it is not just what is the cheapest delivery system."
- "Ontario needs more than piecemeal responses. Men need integrated and coherent plans for services [for victims] and a way of tracking and measuring implementation and effectiveness of services. Right now, there is no integrated plan."
- "Organizations with expertise in serving male survivors need to be sustained to give the know-how and advice that could result in an effective strategic plan for the future."
- "This inquiry has raised awareness of the reality and impact of male sexual victimization. Your sons, brothers, fathers and male friends deserve better."
TMP Recommendations & CPI Response
- Proposed: "province wide specialized victim treatment service centres for male survivors of sexual abuse/assault" be established.
- Response: "strategic direction and implementation."
- Proposed: "A province wide training program so that [male survivors] best can be best serviced by existing helping professionals."
- Response: yes, within different Ministries.
- Proposed: "Province wide public education campaign"
- Response: Yes, recognized as a need.
- Proposed: Provincial demonstration project be undertake and to provide services to "victim/perpetrators"
- Response: TMP should be one of five provincial demonstration sites.
For Additional Resources:
- For clinical services: (613) 230-6179
- For training info: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To subscribe to our newsletter Manifestations: www.themensproject.ca
- TMP American collaborative partner: www.1in6.org
- Internet resource for male survivors: www.malesurvivor.org
- Date modified: